Safety first
If someone is in immediate danger or seriously injured call 999 and ask for the appropriate responders

If you are on Newcastle University Campus, inform Newcastle University Security about what has happened using the Safe Zone app or by calling 0191 208 6666.

You have a number of options if you have experienced sexual violence whilst studying or working at the University.

If you have experienced sexual assault within the last seven days, specialist, free, confidential support is available from your local Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC). The SARC can support you with decisions related to counselling support, collection of forensic evidence (regardless of whether you wish to report to the Police). The SARC in Newcastle is managed by an organisation called R.E.A.C.H. You can contact them 24/7 on 0333 344 8283.

1. Report to the Police
If you, or somebody you know, has been or is currently experiencing sexual violence but is not in immediate danger, you can report it to the Police by calling 101 or go to your local Police station. 
You can also report this to our campus Police Officer, PC Michael Miller (collar ID 8964) on  0191 208 6817 or
The police will investigate the allegation and ensure that you are safeguarded. They will also link you to the appropriate local and national support services.
When it comes to reporting, remember the choice is yours; no one should pressure you into any decision or action.

 2. Report anonymously to the University
Our online Report and Support Tool enables students and colleagues to report concerns about all forms of hate crime, sexual violence, and harassment anonymously. Whether you experienced this directly, witnessed an incident, or heard through a third party, our report and support tool will record the incident and inform our preventative work. Our community is an environment where prejudice and socially unacceptable behaviour are never tolerated. 

3.  Report and Receive support from the University
If you would like to receive support from the University, students and colleagues can use Report and Support, and click 'Speak to an advisor'. If you click 'Speak to an advisor' we will take your name and contact details, so that we can get in touch with you to discuss your needs. We will respond to your report within 2 working days.

For students, you will be assigned a Sexual Violence Liaison Officer (SVLO). Sexual Violence Liaison Officers are specially trained colleagues who will provide practical and emotional support, along with information about further options available. The SVLO will also link you with other teams who can take action to help with other areas of need, such as studies and living accommodation. Sometimes our team may put you in touch with other external services, such as Rape Crisis, to ensure that you have appropriate wraparound support that is bespoke to your needs.

If you are a colleague, reporting an incident related to the behaviour of another colleague, the complaint will be investigated under the Colleague Disciplinary Policy and Procedure which is available here. Colleagues and Post Graduate students can access support through our Employee Assistance Programme (EAP).

There are two ways you can tell us what happened