Safety First 
If someone is in immediate danger or is seriously injured: 
Call 999 and ask for the appropriate responders. 
Additionally, if you are on Newcastle University Campus, inform Newcastle University Security about what has happened using the Safe Zone app or by calling 0191 208 6666. 
How to help a friend who you think has been spiked (From Drink Aware
If you think a friend has had their drink spiked, and they are showing any of the symptoms described above there are a few things you can do to help: 
  • Tell a bar manager, bouncer or member of staff 
  • Stay with them and keep talking to them 
  • Call an ambulance if their condition deteriorates 
  • Don’t let them go home on their own 
  • Don’t let them leave with someone you don’t know or trust 
  • Don’t let them drink more alcohol - this could lead to more serious problems 
Report anonymously to the University 
Our online Report and Support Tool enables students and colleagues to report concerns about all forms of misconduct, harassment, and discrimination anonymously. There is a dedicated reporting category for spiking, and you can report it alongside other concerns at the same time. Whether you experienced this directly, witnessed it, or heard through a third party, our report and support tool will record the incident and inform our preventative work. 
Support for Students 
Remember you do not have to make any formal report to the University or the Police to receive free and confidential support from the University.  
  • Student Health and Wellbeing Team are experienced in supporting students who have been victims of discrimination or harassment and they work closely with local and national partners to link you to more specialist support, should you need it. 
  • Report and Support – you can report anonymously or click ‘Speak to an advisor’. If you choose ‘Speak to an advisor’ a member of our Hate Crime and Sexual Violence Prevention team will contact you within 2 working days to discuss your needs and the support we can offer. 
  • Our Hate Crime and Sexual Violence Prevention Lead can offer support via phone, email, or video call. Contact for more details. 
  • Our Faith and Spirituality Team provide dedicated and confidential support for anyone affected by harassment and in need of someone to talk to. They can be contacted by email:  
  • You can receive confidential counselling support from the Newcastle University Student Health and Wellbeing Counselling Team.  
  • All postgraduate students can receive free 24/7 personal support from our PG Support Service. 
It may be a good idea to speak to your Personal Tutor or Research Supervisor to inform your school of the impact your experiences have had upon your studies and where this has had a negative impact on an assignment/examination you can seek an adjustment via the PEC system. 

There are two ways you can tell us what happened